What is Lead Poisoning?

When tiny lead particles enter the human body through inhalation or ingestion, the body mistakenly identifies them as calcium and therefore absorbs the toxic substance into bones, brain tissue and the kidneys. This poses a serious problem for young children and unborn babies whose nervous systems are brains are in rapid stages of development. Even low amounts of lead in the body can cause learning and developmental disabilities. Higher amounts of lead poisoning can damage the nervous system, kidneys, and other major organs. Very high exposures can cause seizures or death.

There is no known safe level of lead in the body. Even small amounts of lead can cause serious disabilities. Lead accumulates in the body and can cause lifelong learning and behavior problems.